nuffnang

Saturday, March 19, 2005

LRT LRT

Encountered a very amusing scenario today, yes, PUTRA LRT! I guess they never really maintain their trains well. It happened when I was on my way back from Ampang Park station. I entered the second door, always choose the middle door because that is where the air cond blows hard. As usual the door will close after the alarm sounds twice. I was actually rushing because I was all sweaty and the heat was killing me, can't wait to go home and take a cold shower! After the alarm, the door closed except the one I was nearest too! So the alarm rang again and all the doors opened for about 20 seconds and closed again. I thought okay that was all, maybe just a slight mechanical malfunction.

The next stop is KLCC station. It was only 4p.m. but the station was totally packed. Anticipating that I was going to get squeezed, I hurrily find an empty and strategic spot to stand at. So the train stopped and the doors opened. Everyone started pouring into the train. As the alarm sounded again as a signal the door will close, one smart fellow blocked the door and it got stuck. Normally if something like this happens all the doors will open up and close again quite quickly. But this time, it took some time for everything to go back to normal and the amount of people inside the train was very very uncomfortable. We halted for about 30 seconds and then everything went back to normal.

Next stop is Kampung Baru. One train operator stepped into the train and checked the doors. It was so crowded he was having difficulty moving around. And again the alarm sounded and the doors closed again. This time, the first door got stuck and the operator decided to manually close the door and LOCK IT. Then he shouted out, "Pintu ini akan ditutup. Sila guna pintu sebelah," and he repeated it in English ,"Door no work, use that door," ( NOTE: I quoted directly from what I heard 100% ) and started pointing at the next door which is the one I am nearest too. So the train moved again and he switched on his walkie-talkie and started conversing, here's what I could catch, " Door sudah shut down. Send sticker blocking the door. zshszshzshzhs ( some buzzing sound )." So the train stopped next at Dang Wangi, the operator went off as a new worker came in with a piece of paper and some masking tape. He was also struggling to move around as the crowd was simply massive today. But he managed to reach the first door, which is now totally shut out, and stick the paper there. The notice went like this, "PINTU ROSAK, SILA GUNA PINTU SEBELAH," and "Please use the next door."

So the train stopped at Masjid Jamek station. By then all the passangers have already learn about the malfunctioning door so they squeeze and push their way out and despite my big built, I felt like being tossed around like a doll. I thought everything would be alright by then until the alarm sounds and when the door was closing, another smart, or dumb fellah must just stick his hands out blocking the door and there goes again!!! While all this took place, time was constantly wasted!!

Next stop, Pasar Seni. That station wasn't so crowded unlike Masjid Jamek and KLCC. I was pretty excited already, almost HOME! So once again the alarm sounded and this time one old man blocking the door again!!! And it must happen right in front of me!!! A simple one way trip that usually takes only 20 minutes this time took 40 minutes with a train loaded with passenger. First time in my life as a LRT commuter I encounter such bizarre situation that the train MUST be held up at every station it stops at!

Actually I did have another funny encounter when I was on my way to Ampang Park. It didn't really effect me so I didn't voice out to that old aunty aka madam who was very very rude towards a little kid. I entered the train at KL Sentral together with this particular family which I spotted. A malay family, husband and wife with 3 little yet very cute kids. I was talking to one of the shy kids and teasing him abit and I offered him my seat and he gave me this very very sweet smile. So the train proceeded and stopped at Pasar Seni. Here comes one lady in her mid 50's with hairstyle of the late 80's carrying a plastic bag from Ocean. She came in, looked around and went straight to that little kid whom I offered my seat too. What she said next really wasn't nice at all. Here's what she said, "Excuse me! Seats are for old people only!! Now let me SIT!" The poor kid looked lost tears flowed as he rush out of his seat and ran to his mother who was seating the opposite direction. COME ON!!! If u want a seat, PICK ON THOSE TEENAGERS SITTING DOWN WITH CROSS LEGS listening to their RADIO LA!!! That poor boy can't even walk properly yet and you do him such a favour, making him confused and started to cry. I wanted to chirp in and tell the lady off but held back because I didn't want to cause any commotion.

But what happened was indeed food for thought. I really did have this notion that we Malaysians are friendly and considerate, especially the older generation! But what happen today was really unacceptable in my dictionary. I am not suggesting that the elderly are all selfish and self -centered but that particular Lady or Madam or Mrs or most probably MISS!!! Gosh I better keep my cool!! I really do hope we keep up our status as a friendly nation with good character and a willing helper to the needy.

1 comment:

-karen- said...

I guess it could be caused by the norm of younger people offering their seats to the older people that now the oldies actually expect, and perhaps demand, it.

If I had been in your place, I must admit, being the short-tempered person that I am, I would probably have done something really nasty.