nuffnang

Thursday, July 28, 2005

New Swimming Technique

Okay, here goes, I've been swimming for about 17 years now (I'm 20 now). It started as an interest, the natural love for water, till I started treating it more seriously, learning new strokes as age catches up. Alrite, I have to admit, I've lost it now hehe, due to the unrelenting pace of my mouth, and stomach, I find it hard to swim fast nowadays. But nomatter what happens, swimming will always be in my blood.

The past few days has been HECTIC! Wanted to use a more proper word, but "hectic" will do. Three assignments to finnish, a project that is almost done, a presentation to prepare on Saturday...we even blackout the college yesterday while testing our project. Okay, you might be wondering, what is the correlation between my final year project and swimming? Nothing actually, but it is because of this project I carried my camera around, and guess what! WHOA!! I managed to capture a lady swimming "FROG STYLE" wei...

Here goes;

Notice anything interesting? No?? Okay, I might not be as experienced as some other professional swimmers, but aren't we looking at a relatively new stroke here?? Hrmm, I can't see her swimming freestyle, nor is it breastroke, not even close to butterfly, and if you call it backstroke, come and see me, I'll give you a butt stroke(with a rotan that is). OH HOLD ON!! DID I JUST MENTION BUTT STROKE!!! BINGO!!! I've found the most appropriate name for this new style!

Lets discuss about the pros and cons of this new swimming technique. First of all, notice how aerodynamic her posture is?? Rocket style shape, design to cut through water with unrelenting pace! Fine, lets talk more about the aerodynamic probabilities of this technique. I was brainstorming my mind (after another sleepless night doing my project ) and then I found a very interesting article, and yes, it relates to formula one.

Wings

Go ahead, click on the picture to see the technical expect of a formula one car's wings! And now, I have come to deduce that the raised butt is to create more downforce. Okay wait, sorry, I got it all wrong, why in the world would a swimmer wants to create downforce for?? ARRGGHH!! I'm cracking my head trying to figure out the reason for such posture. Okay, I officially give up, it is impossible that the buttstroke is created for downforce. That's it, I'm leaving the comment box open for those who can provide me technical feedback for the new found swimming technique.....

No comments: