nuffnang

Monday, November 26, 2007

My 83km ride

This post is long overdue. Yeah Daniel and I attempted a 100km ride on the 17th of November 2007, which was roughly 9 days ago. For this trip, I spent the night at Jus house, hoping to wake up early and prepare early.

We prepared the route via hill count, we will conquer 3 hills this time around, starting with Tekali -> Genting Perez -> last but not least Ampang Hill.

Of course, we woke up late, couldn't really sleep because...... the trumpets were noisy....

We set the alarm to shout at 4.45am, but ended waking up at 5.30 when Daniel called me. We rushed to prepared, and that was when I realize the lausai symptom were starting to plague me, had a terrible spell at the loo, hope Aunty Judy won't mind. Still, had my morning prayer, prayed that God will keep my stomach intact, and braved on.

We took the long route to Ulu langat this time, reasons? To cover more distance. The ride was fairly easy, but my high gears were making funny noises, and the lausainess were starting to drain me.

We reached the foothills of tekali and took a breather. Actually, was pretty much tempted to release, but couldn't.
At the foothill

Jus prepared me well for the climb, according to him;

"Ah this hill very easy wan la, sure can wan"

Of course can la! For him! hehe. Anyway I really pushed my heavy frame (bicycle + body very heavy) up that hill, and made it to the top with only 1 stop. Yet, Jus complained he waited for me, TRY CLIMBING WITH 100KG!!
Image compliments of Jus

Of course it wasn't a problem for Daniel and Jus, but the long, winding climbing roads really drained me. Every turn I see, you would pray and hope it is the last, but the next turn seems to shoot you down with another apex that is curving upwards. To aptly described the feeling, "IT SUCKS!".

Yet all is forgotten when you're up there, the pure satisfaction, knowing that many had tried and failed, YES THAT PURE SATISFACTION!!!! By this time, my lausai syndrome subsided a little.
We zipped down, knowing how fast my Free Wheely can go, I decided to tap the brakes lightly, staying at least 20m behind Daniel who in turn was behind Jus. Still, I hit the highest speed among us all, told you Free Wheely is fast!

We stopped by Semenyih Damm to snap so me pictures;

Taken by my phone
Daniel and I having some light moment


Ahhhhhhhhhhh Selesanya

Next up, short flats towards Genting Perez. By now, my lausai syndrome started to kick in again, this makes the hill felt like a mountain! The slopes aren't really that steep, but the climb was a daunting 10KM!!!!! For this climb, I literally took my time, peddling at a mere 10-15kmh, speeding up a wee bit at the flats.

Took a leak half way through and had an encounter with some wild monkeys. Those buggers stole one of my sneaker bar (I think). So continued on, even though my back ached so much, my stomach felt so bloated, and my butt was so uncomfortable (due to the lausai syndrome), plus the lack of sleep is starting to play a major factor now.

Was at the 8km mark up the hill when daniel called, I told him I'll continue, NO GIVING UP NOW! At this point, every turn was playing tricks on me, my eyes would tell me that I've reached the peak, yet it all seems just a mirage when yet another turn leads to another one and another one, it seems ENDLESS!!!!

Once again, all the pain and suffering disappeared when I spotted a sign that says "JELEBU"! WAH!! I REACHED THE PEAK!!!!!!!!!

That felt great, yet another hard earned victory!

We wasted no time, going downhill from here, I went really slowly this time, back was really hurting and my legs were numb. This time, my greatest fear started to unfold, I was running out of juice, my water bottles combined was left with less than 100ml. It was pretty worrying, but I had to go on nevertheless.

The ride home was disappointing, so much so I had to rest 2 times, buy a bottle of excel, push my bike about 1km up ampang hill, suffered cramps,...... lets not talk about it.

But all in all, I managed to reach the peak of Ampang hills, and there, Jus was sooooooooo tired, he looks like he was going to sleep (tired of waiting). That's about it for the so called "100km" ride.

I really hope to make it with minimal stops the next time

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok la dono y so sleepy tat day...ok next time u can b tour leader adi...hahaha

Anonymous said...

jus - its called Semenyih Damm..not Pongsun..anyway its Pangsun...hahahah

J@cob & Anne said...

thanks for the correction, changes made liao

Anonymous said...

Hahahahh....nevertheless, CONGRATS! Can do better next time.

You can lead us the next time. I wanna try the new hills altho sound pretty scary, as described by you :)

J@cob & Anne said...

lol tat wouldn't b e a problem at all